Director of Sports
Teaching and Learning
- Lead and oversee the teaching and learning in the PE Department; assuring that the contents and pedagogies employed are appropriate to and compatible with i) the School’s Sporting Vision and Guiding Statements ii) the curricula studied and iii) the examinations that are taken
- Ensure that department members are i) preparing suitable lesson plans and course descriptions and ii) maintaining records of students’ performance according to school and department criteria to facilitate the production of appropriate School Reports
- Hold regular Department meetings (typically once every four weeks) to coordinate the efficient running of the department providing minutes to the Heads of Primary and Secondary as well as the Headmaster
- Oversee the performance management and professional development of all members of the department
- Oversee and coordinate the preparation of internal and external examinations throughout the department
- Oversee and coordinate the development of the school’s Physical Education curriculum
- Provide information for the Heads of Section as is needed for planning timetables, options, exams etc.
- Act as a liaison between the different sections and levels within the School to ensure the maximum continuity in programmes
- Work in conjunction with the facilitators of our Representative Teams, Co-Curricular and Extra-Curricular Programmes and the Student Council to ensure that the contents and pedagogies employed in all sporting activities are appropriate and compatible with the School’s Sporting Vision and Guiding Statements
- Work in conjunction with the Health and Safety Committee to ensure that all sporting activities are undertaken in a safe manner
Wider Professional Responsibilities
- Ensure that appropriate learning resources are provided and available for the efficient working of the Department
- Revise and, where appropriate, approve orders for materials and requests for duplication to the ‘bodega’ within the limits of the department budget
- Provide an annual order for course books and sporting equipment for the Administration. Make extra orders, as required, within the limits of the departmental budget.
- Coordinate the organization of the annual Sports Festival
- Lead and ensure participation in inter-school sporting competitions and activities both locally and internationally
- Collaborate with the Headmaster in the areas of appointing new staff to the Physical Education Department
- Contribute to the development of the school’s holiday sporting programmes
The British School of Costa Rica is committed to the safeguarding of all members of its community. This appointment is subject to the provision of an appropriate criminal records check, either Costa Rican or international.
|Bachelor’s degree in Sports Science / Physical Education, or a closely related discipline, or a Bachelor’s degree in education||X|
|A recognized formal teaching qualification||X|
|A relevant Master’s degree||X|
|At least 4 years teaching experience, preferably in international schools||X|
|Recent experience of teaching in the I.G.C.S.E. programme||X|
|Recent experience of sports programme coaching and management.||X|
|Experience working with students who have English as a second language||X|
|Professional Skills, knowledge and Understanding=||Essential||Desirable|
|Fluency in English||X|
|Advanced level of Spanish||X|
|A developed knowledge and understanding of current pedagogy||X|
|An effective classroom practitioner||X|
|Able to engage with students and to engender enthusiasm for learning||X|
|Comfortable using a range of I.C.T. including the Google platform||X|
|Have a flexible approach to working and enjoy being a positive team member||X|
|Have effective communication, organization and time management skills||X|
|Be able to manage own workload effectively and respond swiftly to tight deadlines||X|
|Good interpersonal skills with the ability to enthuse and motivate others and develop effective partnerships||X|
|Willingness to share expertise, skills and knowledge and ability to encourage others||X|
|Maintain a personal commitment to Professional Development linked to the competencies necessary to deliver the requirements of the post, including being reflective on their own practice and the practice of others||X|
- In making an application, for both local and international contracts, candidates are asked to make it absolutely clear for what position they are applying. The School will not necessarily reply to speculative applications; only to those sent in response to advertised positions. However we do keep a limited database of previous applications.
- We only contract qualified teachers who have at least two years of relevant, prior experience. Also, we teach English throughout the school as a first language and because of this, we do not offer international contracts to EFL or ESL teachers.
- If you qualify and are interested in applying for any of our job openings, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV and a brief description as to why you think your qualifications and experience would make you a good candidate for the advertised post.